Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hair Products

It surely takes a lot of hair products to make me feel good about going out of my house every morning. There's the shampoo (wanna' make sure it not only cleans yesterday's products out of my hair, but also smells good). Then comes the conditioner. Now, this one gets me because the directions say, "Leave on 3 minutes." Doesn't that just seem like a long time for a "product" to make clean hair soft and manageable? I'm usually impatient about this step and actually have a hard time finding something to do in the shower while I'm waiting for the conditioner to do its magic. Well, after the shower comes the multi-step process of moussing and curl enhancing, not to mention the finishing spray. By this time and with all these products, you'd think I look like a wild woman. The goal, however, is just the opposite! Quite a daily operation, isn't it?!

You ask, what does this have to do with being a woman at a crossroads? I see several lessons for myself in my hair product adventure:

1. If I'm willing/compelled to spend such a significant amount of time on hair, why don't I make the time to improve my physical, relational and spiritual well-being? I could spend 20 minutes to read God's Word and be nourished in my soul. I could walk for 20 minutes to encourage my body. I could put down my iPhone and talk with my husband to build into our relationship. Oh, the benefits of getting some perspective about priorities!

2. Taking shortcuts, like prematurely rinsing out the conditioner in my hair, can cause a terrible, tangled mess. It really does make a difference when I give the "product" time to work. Likewise, when I step back, slow down and not rush or get ahead of God's plans for me, I see His hand preparing the way and directing my path (Proverbs 3:5-6).

3. One last lesson is that man may look on the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart. In this part of my life journey, am I keeping my heart pure and longing for Jesus? That's the beauty I want to shine forth -- the love and grace of Jesus in my life!

I'll probably still feel the daily weight of hair products on my head, but I'll also be reminded that God's Holy Spirit is who truly transforms me into a new and beautiful creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment