Friday, September 7, 2012

Blessed Quietness

A cup of Earl Grey tea and a porch swing. Every now and then, it's a grand thing to enjoy some of the simple pleasures of life.

I like what Mother Teresa said, “We need to find God, and He cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.” There is something very nourishing about quietness. In those moments (too rarely chosen), my entire demeanor can be lifted and refreshed with even a small dose of silence. And, just as Mother Teresa said, when I have tasted silence, that's when I can touch a soul.

Sometimes the sort of silence that can enrich or influence the life of another person is when I keep my mouth from sharing everything I think I know. Over the years, I've learned that it's not always necessary or profitable to offer my two cents. Yes, there are certainly occasions when I have worthwhile conversation points, but very often my greatest contribution is to listen -- to offer the gift of silence and by doing so to reinforce the value I place on another person.

Does the beauty of silence apply in the workplace? With my spouse? With my adult children? In friendships? When that crazy driver cuts me off? I believe it does!

Consider practicing this quietness -- this act of restraint -- and touch a soul!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I appreciate this reminder, Becky! I agree -- so often our silence speaks volumes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had more silence! Great reminders...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so timely! I have been reading through The Practice of the Presence of God with my two daughters each morning as part of our devotional time. We take 5 minutes to sit in total silence listening for God's voice. It has quickly become the favorite part of our day. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete