Thursday, September 13, 2012

Is there a place for me?

Is there a place for me?

There’s a road out there – a winding path that goes in unexpected directions. As a young adult, I was pretty sure (in my youthful naivety and arrogance) that I knew where I was going over the next 30 years – I would graduate from college, meet the man of my dreams and marry him, have children, raise incredible kids . . . Those thirty years have come and gone. I hadn’t really considered what my “lot in life” would be after the raising of the children had passed.

It’s always been of great importance to me to live with purpose. I knew my purpose when I was mothering Ryan, Austin and Kristin. Have you ever asked, “What now?!” That question poked at me for a while. Could there be something else that I could do that would be meaningful and fulfilling?

Last week in our staff devos (we’re so blessed to have devotions together as a team everyday), I asked them, “Why are you here [at Family Talk]?” By the way, I work with an exceptional group of people. I love them and appreciate their dedication and hard work! But, even though I thought I knew these folks and probably had a good idea about why they came to work here, I was blown away with their responses to my question. Many talked about the circumstances that brought them to this organization – amazing accounts of divine intervention. Others shared their strong sense of calling to use their skills and passions for the mission of Family Talk. One precious young lady said that she knows a year later now that this is the one job God had for her! Wow!!! And the respect, love and gratitude for our president, Dr. Dobson, were expressed over and over again. It was a marvelous time for us to gather together and reaffirm that God has plans for us at Family Talk.

My dear friend, LuAnne Crane (VP of Broadcasting and Co-Host of the daily program), said that the truth of Ephesians 5:15-16 grips her – “Be very careful, then, how you live – not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.” She stated that she can no longer be complacent but must live with intentionality, especially because her children are watching her. No more mediocrity for LuAnne! She is compelled to live by her convictions – overltly! – because her children need to see a mom whose daily calendar and priorities are completely determined by her Christian convictions and worldview. What a beautiful perspective and objective! LuAnne is thankful that her role at Family Talk gives her a forum in which to live out these truths.

I, too, know with certainty that God has a place for me at Family Talk. There are tasks that He has equipped me to do, lessons to learn, challenges to face and relationships to build. It is remarkable to me that the God of the universe has opened these opportunities to me and that I can make a difference for Him!! I cannot tell you how my heart overflows with a sense of significance and belonging. God’s goodness is beyond words! Another verse in Ephesians rings true to me: Ephesians 3:20-21 – “Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen!”

Yes, I still have a purpose. You do, too.

Yes, my life can be fulfilling and meaningful. Yours can, too.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow, praise Him all creatures here below. Praise Him above, you heavenly hosts. Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

1 comment:

  1. My children all got married and left home. I struggle with my purpose. Thanks for your input, it has given me a direction to go in and a reason to smile at the future.

    ReplyDelete