Friday, June 21, 2013

A Godly Heart

I’ve been thinking lately (that makes it sound like it’s not very often that I do some thinking – just lately ☺ ). Anyway, some of my recent thoughts have taken me to a verse in the Bible that I have read and heard many times. Micah 6:8 says, “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”

Whenever I wonder what it is God is asking of me, as I desire to serve Him the best ways that I can, I am reminded of this Scripture. Seems too simple, doesn’t it? Surely God is expecting grand and profound deeds and words from me, because in my mind, those are the things that will make a difference in another person’s life.

I stand corrected. God is clear in Micah 6:8. It’s not the grandiose accomplishments that are viewed as “good” by God. He asks three things in this verse:

 • First is to act justly
 • To love mercy
 • And to walk humbly with my God

I’m positive that I don’t have a complete understanding of these three exhortations, but I believe they all start with an attitude of caring about others and not focusing on myself. A regular reading of Philippians 2 helps me keep perspective about Christ’s model of humility and looking out for the interests of others.

The act of looking out for the interests of others includes doing justice – protecting the innocent and watching out for those who are mistreated. In other words, I am to be a champion for those who cannot stand on their own. A co-worker recently returned from a trip to Russia where she spent time with orphans. Those children dearly needed an uplifting hand from another person. What a wonderful example my co-worker is to me of acting justly!

The second phrase is to love mercy. I found that the Hebrew word, hesed, is included there. Hesed means “loyal love” or “lovingkindness.” As God speaks to the nation of Israel in Micah 6, He wants them to show love and mercy to others. There are an abundance of opportunities for me to express caring and hope-filled love to those in my sphere of influence. Oh, that I would seize those moments! 

Finally, God wants me to walk humbly with Him, knowing that it’s not what I do or what I bring to the mix but rather affirming that God is God and I am not.

 Lord, please help me to have a godly heart that acts justly, loves mercy and walks humbly with You.

No comments:

Post a Comment