Friday, August 3, 2012

Welcome to Becky Lane - At A Crossroads

Hi! Thank you for checking out my newest adventure – blogging . . .

My name is Becky Lane (my maiden name was Smith) – as you can see, I like to keep it simple, and it doesn’t get much easier than having the last names of Smith and Lane. I was born in the Florence Nightingale Wing of Baylor Hospital in Dallas, Texas, in May of 1955. At that time, my parents were students at Dallas Bible Institute and were looking forward to seeing what mission field the Lord had in store for them.

My parents, Jim and Mae Smith.
We moved to Wichita Falls, Texas, when I was just a toddler. My folks were going to open their home to the service personnel at Sheppard Air Force Base and offer them a “home away from home.” My dad, Jim, had come to know Jesus as his Savior while he was in the Coast Guard and had visited a Christian Servicemen’s Center in New York City. Although my parents came from very different backgrounds and parts of the country (my mom, Mae, from a small farming community in North Texas and my dad from Florida, Mississippi, Maryland, Louisiana), God brought each of them to a Bible college in Dallas; and they both had a heart for serving the Lord.

I grew up with two younger brothers, David and Phil. I have tomboy tendencies because they had no interest in playing house or dolls or even paper dolls with me. I still love football and baseball to this day.

I wasn’t so keen on school in junior high – our family had just moved the summer before I started at Hirschi Junior High. I didn’t know anyone, and I was extremely shy and self-conscious. By high school, things were looking up. I enjoyed band (mostly because I could go to the football games) and did well in my classes. Thanks to Facebook, I’ve been able to keep up with several of my friends from good ole’ HHS.

Graduation from Bob Jones University
After high school, I attended Midwestern University right there in Wichita Falls. The following year I transferred to Bob Jones University in Greenville, South Carolina. Talk about change! Again, I was in a place where I knew no one, and I was so very homesick. The entire first semester was very painful, and I would have gone home if it hadn’t been so far and if I’d had the money to do so. Looking back, it’s good I didn’t quit – I wouldn’t trade the education I received, the life lessons I learned and the friendships I made. I graduated with my degree in Office Administration in 1977.

Life seemed to be going “as scheduled.” :) Now, I needed to get busy and find a husband, so then I could build my nest and start having babies. After all, that’s what I always wanted to be when I grew up – a wife and a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment