Friday, February 22, 2013

Observations of a Mother-In-Law

One of the passages of empty nesting is becoming the infamous "mother-in-law."

My older son, Ryan, married Joanna eight and a half years ago. Joanna and I had to get to know each other -- to learn to trust, to appreciate each other's strengths and to be respectful. Joanna is wonderful. She complements Ryan beautifully, and she is an integral part of our family.

Our younger son, Austin, has recently proposed to his long-time girlfriend, Kim. They will marry in September. It's been such a delight to watch as they make plans for their future. I'm happy to build a relationship with the young lady my son loves.

The way I see it, being a mother-in-law is a grand opportunity to be an example of love, acceptance and care. Instead of dwelling on the emptiness of my nest, I can rejoice in our growing family.

1 comment:

  1. If only everyone could see their son's marrying as their family growing! My MIL saw it and continues to - 17 years later - as hew family shrinking, as me stealing her son. So hard.
    So SO hard.

    ReplyDelete