Friday, March 1, 2013

I Am Honestly Befuddled

I am honestly befuddled. There are not many days that I sit down long enough to watch a newscast. Sure, I catch headlines and read about what’s going on in the world around me. But, I can hardly recognize this world anymore – at least not the world I was hoping it would be for my children.

The news stories of yesterday – just yesterday – made me want to cry ... a national economy spiraling downward, an outright endorsement of homosexual marriage by the President, a six year-old child whose parents promote that he is “transgender,” and on it goes!

The Bible tells us, “Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight! (Isaiah 5:20-21)” That is a stern warning from God Almighty! As believers, we are commanded to stand for righteousness. As a believing community, however, we have fallen asleep at the wheel. Our personal conveniences have overridden our commitment to morality and discernment.

I must call upon God’s grace and forgiveness for my ambivalence. Oh, how restoring is God’s Word. James 4 tells me, “But He gives more grace ... God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded ... Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.”

Lord God, where can I go but to You? You are life! You are light in a dark world. Show me, Father, how You would have me to be a vessel of Your truth. Open my eyes to discern good from evil and, with Your strength to stand and speak for what is right. You have redeemed me at great cost. My life is Yours. Use me to courageously proclaim Jesus and Him crucified.

No comments:

Post a Comment